Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Unicorn Diapers!!!



The term 'unicorn' in the coupon world is used to describe either deals and/or coupons that are either near impossible to find or simply do not exist.

But... sometimes, they do - and I found one!

Like I have said, I have a beautiful 4 month old son, Big B. He weighed in at almost 20 lbs at his 4 month shots, so he is in the upper range of size 3 diapers right now. I see size 4 being a part of his future shortly. As with any baby, we go through a good number of diapers. And they are pricey. Even with the $ off coupons that Pampers (our brand of choice) puts in the cases, the ones that come out in the P&G flyer a few times a year - it all adds up buying $40 cases, with only a few dollars off. We tried the Kirkland diapers, but in the end they cost more between the extra laundry I was doing due to leaks and the lack of sleep from having Big B wake up in the middle of the night with a wet sleeper.

I hit gold with a bunch of Pampers coupons that I've been saving - but was worried I wasn't going to be able to use as they all expire for the most part on 12/31/11. Some came right from the manufacturer, some from inserts and others from previous packs of diapers we've purchased. I noticed the other day that I was down to my last case (I got a relatively good deal back in September and stocked up then). I made a mental note that Diapers would soon be on the 'Must Have' shopping list.

After logging on the Smart Canucks site, I read about people in Ontario getting CRAZY good deals on Pampers. They were paying anywhere between $19.99 - $9.99 a CASE. $5 for the plastic packages. I knew that Pampers was re branding their cases. They are now selling cases that include more diapers (on average, 20-30 more depending on the size). These cases also have a $5 off coupon inside. BUT - these cases are anywhere between $5-8 MORE a case. It equals out to be about the same in the end. And because Pampers are made by Proctor & Gamble, it is automatically known that their coupons have restrictive language on them that do not allow stacking (using 2 or more different manufactures coupons on the same item at the same time - only allowed at London Drugs and Save On Foods). When I heard about this packaging change, I was personally not happy about it. Just a sneaky way for the manufacture to make the impression that you'll be saving more money, but in the end, you won't.

Well, this is what brings me to the Unicorn Diapers. Upon hearing about this sale going on at a store that is also in Alberta, I started hunting. I literally spent a morning hauling my son around to 7-8 different locations all to find nothing more than a few of them having $19.99 cases - which isn't that great of a deal. I was told by a veteran couponer and mom that paying $0.18 or less a diaper is a great deal. The $19.99 cases worked out to be $0.23 a diaper.

So, I still held out hope and checked a few other locations throughout the week only to find nothing even close to a sale at any of them. The old style boxes were still $38.99 a box. There are 4 stores of this chain in the city I live in. 3 are on main streets, 1 is fairly new and also kinda tucked in behind residential. I took the off chance to hit up that one before picking my son up from his Grandparents (they graciously let me drop him off if I need to do a lot of running in and out of stores).

And am I ever glad I did......

I purchased the following:
1 case of Newborn Diapers - 84 count
4 cases of Size 1 Diapers - 92 count
2 cases of Size 3 Diapers - 80 count
7 cases of Size 4 Diapers - 68 count
5 cases of Size 5 Diapers - 58 count
7 cases of Size 6 Diapers - 48 count

26 Cases for a Grand Total of $195.26!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Retail for these cases would be $1064.43
I saved $869.17

All of these cases were on sale for $9.99 (except for the Newborn case - that one was $12.99). With the sale price, in combination of my coupons, I paid an average of $7.51 a case.

So my price per diaper according to size of case equals the following:
Newborn - 84 count: $7.51 / 84 = $0.0894 each
Size 1 - 92 count: $7.51 / 92 = $0.0816 each
Size 3 - 80 count: $7.51 / 80 = $0.0938 each
Size 4 - 68 count: $7.51 / 68 = $0.1104 each
Size 5 - 58 count: $7.51 / 58 = $0.1294 each
Size 6 - 48 count: $7.51 / 48 = $0.1564 each

All well below the goal of $0.18 each or less!

This has blown my mind to be completely honest. I will probably never have to buy diapers for Big B ever again. My boyfriends cousin had a little girl in October (why I bought the Newborn and Size 1's) - she is set for a while. He also has a coworker with twins - they will be getting a few cases as well. I am so happy to be able to provide this for MY family!

In the meantime, I am so proud of my haul. It goes to show that couponing is a game. The timing between your searching for sale prices and knowing and being able to obtain the quantity of coupons you need are all intricate keys to getting savings like this.

Poop to your little hearts content Big B! We have lots of diapers for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment