Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Formula for Thought

*All prices used in this Blog come from the Walmart.ca website with the exception of the Kirkland brand which comes from Costco current as of today, at my local store*

Let me start of by saying that all formulas in Canada and the States have to meet minimum guidelines for nutrition and content. Canada has one of the highest standards and quality control on formula in the world. If you can buy it at a store, there is no reason why you should not feel safe feeding it to your child. Assuming you're not having to feed specialty blends like Soy or a Sensitive mix, all formulas are more or less the same.

There are three big names in infant formula. Enfamil, Similac and Nestle Good Start. All are costly, all have many different variations - but for this blog, I'm going to compare like ones to each other.


Enfamil A+
Enfamil recently changed their packaging, and consumer dollar wise, to the worse. They offer a tub that you initially buy and then buy refill bags for these tubs (a 2 pk). They state it is better for the environment (less waste - and probably cheaper for them as well) but it leaves the consumer paying a lot because a lot seems to be offered... The initial cost of a tub is $24.93. You get 663g of formula for that price. The refill packs are sold in a box of 2 and are 496g each (992g total) for the price of $39.97.

The break down goes as follows:
Initial purchase $24.93 / 663g = $0.03876 / g
Refills $39.97 / 992g = $0.04029 / g

If I were an Enfamil parent - I'd be buying the 'first' tub again, again, and again.


Similac Advanced Omega 3 & 6
Similac offers the above in 728g cans for the price of $24.96 each.

The break down goes as follows:
1 can @ $24.96 / 728g = $0.03428 /g

Price wise, a better choice than Enfamil.


Nestle Good Start
Nestle offers cans that are 640 g for the price of $28.97 each.

The break down goes as follows:
1 can @ $28.97 / 640g = $0.04526

Nestle proves to be the most expensive out of the 'Big Three'.

Before my son was born, I signed up to the Big 3. They all have programs that they send new moms a package. They all contain samples, coupons and in Nestle's case - they sent me a bottle and backpack. They all want your business as it'll obviously be a big one to them in the next year or so to come. And they're willing to invest the product and postage in you to secure their spot.

I had planned on Breastfeeding. But, it turned out that wasn't going to be in the cards for me, unfortunately. The hospital offered me Enfamil A+ bottles to feed while there. Once we got home, I switched him to Nestle Good Start. Bad idea. He was gassy, fussy and not a happy baby at all. After doing some research on the net, I thought that I would try the Kirkland Omega brand sold at Costco. And what a great choice for us that was!


Kirkland Omega
This formula is sold in huge 1.46kg (1460 g) cans that sell for $21.99 regular price. Every few months they go on sale for $18.99 a can. Compositionally, Kirkland Omega is identical to Similac Advance. There is no difference.

Here is the breakdown:
1 1460 g can @ $21.99 = 0.01506 /g
1 1460 g can @ $18.99 = 0.01300 /g



My son, who will be 6 months old in less than a week, goes through 4.5 cans a month.

1460 x 4.5 = 6570 grams

Here is a price comparison of all the brands and what it'd cost me.

Enfamil (single tub - the cheaper option) - 6570 x $0.03876 = $254.65
Similac - 6570 x $0.03428 = $225.22
Nestle Good Start - 6570 x $0.04526 = $297.36
Kirkland Omega, regular price - 6570 x $0.01506 = $98.94


On average, I'm saving $160.14 per month.
Here are some pros and cons to the Kirkland brand:

Pros:
- The Price
- I personally have a high trust in Kirkland Products. If I don't like something, I can take it back there, no questions asked.
- My son has thrived on this product.
- They also have a liquid form of this formula for people that either want to try it out or want the convience of a pre mixed product.
- If you were to try this product out and your baby didn't agree with it, you could return the unused portion of the can to Costco and get a full refund. Try doing that at Walmart...
- It is made in North America. Not all off brand formulas are. To me, this is very important.

Cons:
- Unlike the Big 3, there are no coupons for the formula. I am obligated to buy it at the price they are asking. However, although I know there is money to be saved using coupons, I do know that finding $160 worth and being able to apply them all to the formula would be a job in itself - if it were an option.
- If you run out, you are tied to one stores hours. There is no late night going out to Walmart to grab another can. Because of this, I am diligent in keeping at least 2 cans on hand at all times.
- For some people, they do not like the fact that you'll need or need to know someone with a Costco membership. For my family, it is more than worth it. For others, it may not be.

In the end, it is your personal choice as to how and what you feed your child. You're the parent now - you get to call the shots. If you're more comfortable with a name brand, then go for it. But, if you're like me and have no problem seeing that for the most part all formulas are the same and were willing to try and other options while still feeling like you're providing the best possible for your child - great.

There is no right or wrong in this situation. This is merely a comparison in prices. I am happy with my choice for my son. If I thought for an instant that feeding another brand would be better for him, I'd shell out that extra $160 a month in a heartbeat. But I am good where I am at.

Formula for thought!

5 comments:

  1. Hey, found your blog over on SC. Thanks for posting this. Me & my partner have started to look at the costs of having a baby, so this was really helpful. I always wondered if Kirkland was a "good enough" brand.

    Followed your blog as well!
    Have a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found this helpful!
      I personally cannot say enough good things about the Kirkland brand - but like with any baby - they all take to different things, well, differently :)
      Best wishes to you and your SO. I wouldn't trade my little man for anything in the world!
      Let me know if you have any other questions about setting up a nest for a baby. We've been lucky in cutting costs in almost everything!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this!! We just purchased Kirkland today after your article being the last we read with such a great review....and holy smokes, the savings are amazing!! I'm going to blog about it and link to you. http://boilthewater.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, the Kirkland brand has all the ingredients a baby formula should not have. See this helpful link for more info:

    http://foodbabe.com/2013/05/28/how-to-find-the-safest-organic-infant-formula/

    ReplyDelete
  4. food babe has no real founding in science to trust her is to pay ridiculous amounts of money on products she's endorsed by. She makes money telling you what products to buy!

    ReplyDelete